The Xiaomi Mi 10 Ultra hoists the ultra moniker with an overall package that accrues the title of being the most powerful Xiaomi smartphone that has ever been released. It is a follow up of the previously released Xiaomi Mi 10 Pro 5G. What’s more, the Mi 10 Ultra challenges the status quo of the already released thousand dollar flagships, by offering enthusiasts a very capable smartphone hardware for a lesser price tag.
Where to Buy Xiaomi Mi 10 Ultra
Xiaomi Mi 10 Ultra Key Specs & Features
- 6.67-inch, Super AMOLED Display, 1080 x 2340 Pixels (386 PPI), 120Hz Refresh Rate, HDR10+
- Android 10, MIUI 12
- Octa-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 865 (7 nm+)
- 8GB / 12GB / 16GB RAM
- 128GB / 256GB / 512GB Built-in Storage
- 48MP + 48MP + 12MP + 20MP Quad Rear Camera
- 20MP Front Camera
- Fingerprint Sensor (Under Display)
- 5G Support
- 120W Fast Charging (Wired)
- 50W Fast Wireless Charging
- 4500mAh Non-Removable Li-Po Battery
The Design and Display
The first words that came to my mind upon seeing the Mi 10 Ultra, is “sophisticated look”. By meer perusing its chassis, you can tell Xiaomi means business. This design gives hints that you up for some serious smartphone performance.
For starters, the build property on the Mi 10 ultra comprises of gorilla glass 6 on the rear, gorilla glass 5 upfront, and aluminum on the frame. Which in total sums up to a very premium smartphone build.
On the front panel, we have a 6.67 inch AMOLED display with a resolution of 1080 x 2340, a density of 386 PPI, and a 120Hz refresh rate, which is way more than the 90Hz refresh rate on the Xiaomi Mi 10 5G and the Mi 10 Pro 5G.
On the rear, we have a camera module that can be dubbed as one of the most conspicuous on flagship smartphones. This camera module is hot toa vertical array of four cameras and an LED flash.
Aside from the conspicuous camera module, another eye-catcher is the transparent clear glass back covering on the Mi 10 ultra which sorts of gives a briefing on how the internal components are arranged.
However please note that this clear glass back covering is actually an option. Enthusiasts can also get this device in Obsidian black and mercury silver, which are both opaque coverings.
The Xiaomi Ultra improves on the cameras we saw on the Mi 10 pro with features that sets it in place to be compared to the likes of the Samsung Galaxy S20 ultra and the Samsung Galaxy Note 20 ultra.
It may not feature the trending large 108MP camera like the aforementioned, but it does take a less gimmicky approach to offer enthusiasts features that will prove useful in daily dealings.
For starters, we have got a quad rear camera setup which features a 48MP primary camera with an aperture of f/1.9.
There is also a 48MP periscope telephoto camera that is capable of 5x optical zoom and 120x hybrid zoom, which is more than the 100x hybrid zoom offered by the Samsung Galaxy S20 ultra 5G and the 50x Hybrid zoom offered on the previously released Huawei P40 Pro
The other cameras in its quad rear camera setup include a 20MP ultrawide camera with an aperture of f/2.2 and a 128˚ field of view.
Finally, we have a 12MP telephoto camera with an aperture of f/2.0, 2x Optical zoom. This camera was designed for portrait photography and also to keep the images sharp when zooming in with the periscope telephoto camera.
Video recording on the Mi 10 Ultra maxes out at 8k 24fps. Both the 48MP primary camera and the 48MP periscope camera can shoot in 8k. Other video record modes available here include 4K@30/60fps, 1080p@30/60/120/240/960fps.
Selfies are manned by a single 20MP camera with an aperture of f/2.3. Video record modes include 1080p@30fps and 720p@120fps.
Hardware and Software
The Xiaomi Mi 10 Ultra plays big with its ultra name. It offers one of the most capable hardware on Android smartphones that have been released in 2020. It pushes the trends to the extreme, going beyond the norm.
Under the hood, we have got the Qualcomm Snapdragon 865 processor and an Adreno 650 GPU. We also have storage options which include 128GB, 256GB, and variants. Its RAM variants include 8GB, 12GB and 16GB. To cap the package, we have a non-removable 4500mAh battery.
On the software side, the Xiaomi Mi 10 Ultra runs the MIUI 12 user interface on top of the Android 10 operating system.
An Exceptional Charging Speed
One of the highlights of the Xiaomi Mi 10 ultra, is its 120W wired fast-charging capacity, which is way more than the 25W fast charging capacity on the Samsung Galaxy Note 20 ultra. Xiaomi claims this should get you a 100% charge in about 23 minutes.
As if that isn’t enough, Xiaomi went further to featuring a 50W wireless charging, which is double the wired fast charge capacity on the Samsung Galaxy Note 20 and the Galaxy Note 20 Ultra.
Having charging speeds tackled for both wired and wireless charging means enthusiasts have less to bother about the time needed to ger their mobile phone juiced up.
The Xiaomi Mi 10 ultra features Bluetooth 5.1, dual-band Wifi, NFC, and a USB Type-C port. Please note that the Xiaomi Mi 10 Ultra doesn’t feature a 3.5mm headphone jack. Private audio listening is done via type-c headphones or via wireless headphones.
Internet connectivity on the here is capped at 5G. This means enthusiasts living in areas with 5G reception can download, upload, and stream at 5G speeds.
Xiaomi Mi 10 Ultra Price and Availability
The price of the Xiaomi Mi 10 Ultra starts around $800 for the base 8GB / 128GB configuration. This translates to about 309,216Naira in Nigeria, 86,400 KSH in Kenya, and 4,627 GHC in Ghana.
The Xiaomi Mi 10 Ultra was announced on August 11 2020 and is expected to go on sale on August 16, 2020.
Xiaomi Mi 10 Ultra Specs
Here are a few specs of the Xiaomi Mi 10 Ultra:
- Platform: Android 10, MIUI 12
- Processor: Octa-core Qualcomm SM8250 Snapdragon 865 (1×2.84 GHz Kryo 585 & 3×2.42 GHz Kryo 585 & 4×1.80 GHz Kryo 585)
- GPU: Adreno 650
- Memory: 8GB RAM / 12GB RAM / 16GB RAM
- Colours: Obsidian Black, Mercury Silver, Transparent Edition
- Dimension: 162.4 x 75.1 x 9.5 mm
- Weight: 221.8 g
- SIM Type: Nano-SIM
- SIM Count: Dual-SIM
- Display: 6.67-inch OLED Capacitive Touchscreen, 1080 x 2340 Pixels, 120Hz Refresh Rate, HDR10+
- Screen Protection: Corning Gorilla Glass 5
- Foldable Display: No
- Rear Camera: 48MP (Primary) f/1.9 + 48MP (Periscope Telephoto) 120x hybrid zoom + 12MP (Telephoto) f/2.0 + 20 MP (Ultrawide)
- Rear Camera Features: Dual-tone flash, HDR, Panorama
- Front Camera: 20MP Camera, f/2.3, HDR, 1080p@30fps, 720p@120fps, gyro-EIS
- Built-in Storage: 128GB / 256GB / 512GB
- Memory Card Support: No
- Bundled Cloud Storage: –
- 2G GSM: 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
- 2G CDMA 1X: –
- 3G WCDMA: 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100
- 3G CDMA EVDO: –
- 4G LTE: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 17, 34, 38, 39, 40, 41
- 5G: 1, 3, 41, 78, 79 SA/NSA
Internet & Connectivity
- GPRS: Yes
- EDGE: Yes
- 3G/WCDMA/HSPA: Yes
- HSPA+: –
- CDMA EVDO: –
- 4G LTE: Yes
- 5G: Yes
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/6, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, DLNA
- Wi-Fi Hotspot: Yes
- Bluetooth: 5.1, A2DP, LE, aptX HD
- NFC: Yes
- Infrared Blaster: –
- USB Port: 2.0, Type-C 1.0 reversible connector, USB On-The-Go
- SMS/MMS: Yes
- Instant Messaging: Yes
- Push Emails: Yes
- Email Protocol: Yes
- Music Player: Yes
- Video Player: Yes
- FM Radio: Yes
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- 3.5mm Jack: No
- Navigation: A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS, GALILEO, QZSS
- Maps: Yes
Sensors & Control
- Digital Compass: Yes
- Accelerometer: Yes
- Proximity Sensor: Yes
- Light Sensor: –
- Barometer: Yes
- SpO2: –
- Pedometer: –
- Heart Rate Monitor: No
- Gyroscope: Yes
- Fingerprint Scanner: –
- Iris Scanner: –
- Face Unlock: –
- Stylus Pen: No
- Intelligent Digital Assistant: Yes
- Motion Sensing / Gesture Control: –
- Voice Control: Yes
- Video Streaming: Yes
- Active Noise Cancellation: –
- Wireless Charging: Yes (50W Capacity)
- Built-in Mobile Payment: –
- Water Resistant: –
- Dust Resistant: –
- Image Editor: Yes
- Video Editor: –
- Document Viewer: –
- Document Editor: –
- Battery: Non-Removable 4500 mAh Li-Po
- Talktime: –
- Standby Time: –
- Fast Charging: 120W capacity (41% in 5 min, 100% in 23 min)