After manufacturing lots of smartphones under the franchise of other brands, TCL kicked off their native smartphone brand with the TCL Plex, which wasn’t really successful. This year they are back with TCL 10 Pro, a smartphone that packs in mid-range hardware in a chassis with premium build materials. This package is aimed at settling the needs of enthusiasts in search of Android smartphones within the $400 range.
TCL Pro 10 Key Specs & Features
- 6.47-inch, AMOLED Display, 1080 x 2340 Pixels (398 PPI), HDR10
- Android 10, planned upgrade to Android 11, TCL UI
- Qualcomm SDM675 Snapdragon 675 (11 nm)
- 6GB RAM
- 128GB Built-in Storage
- 64MP + 16MP + 5MP + 2MP Quad Rear Camera
- 24MP Front Camera
- Fingerprint Sensor (Under Display)
- 4G LTE
- 18W Fast Charging (Wired)
- 4500mAh Non-Removable Li-Po Battery
Design and Display
The TCL 10 Pro may not be a high-end flagship smartphone, but it sure does look like one, an attribute that facilitated by the astute design and chassis build.
For starters, we have gorilla glass 5 on both the front and rear panel. We also have aluminum on the frame, which is similar to the setup we had on the Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 Pro.
It may not be as high class as the Gorilla glass 6 or the Gorilla glass Victus on the Samsung Galaxy Note 20 ultra. But its certainly a welcome feature due to the fact that it adds some layer of protection.
Upfront on the TCL 10 Pro, you will find a 6.47 inch AMOLED curved display manufactured by TCL. This display has a resolution of 1080 x 2340 and a density of 398 PPI.
Overlooking the fact its refresh rate falls below 90Hz is a bit difficult considering the presence of competitors like the OnePlus Nord which falls in the same price range but still offers a 90Hz refresh rate.
Flipping this smartphone to get rearview, you will find a matte finish which comes in either Gray a Green. On this matte finish, you will find a horizontally arranged camera setup bearing four cameras and two LED flashes on the sides. Below is the TCL branding which indicates the OEM.
The Cameras on the TCL 10 pro aren’t really outlandish. It bears a setup very similar to what we have on most other mid-range smartphones. However, it neglects a telephoto camera, which may be an essential camera to many.
The rear camera setup on here comprises of four cameras, which include a 64MP primary camera with an aperture of f/1.8, a 16MP ultrawide camera with an aperture of f/2.4, a 5MP macro camera with an aperture of f/2.2 and a 2MP depth camera with an aperture of f/2.4.
This camera setup is capable of recording video maxed out at 4k @ 30fps. The other video modes include 1080p@30/60/120fps and 720p@960fps.
Selfies are manned by a single 24MP camera with an aperture of f/2.0. This camera is capable of recording videos maxed at 1080p @ 30fps.
Hardware and Software
The TCL 10 Pro brandishes a Qualcomm Snapdragon 675 processor from 2018. Which at this point in time feels a bit under, especially when making references to the likes of the OnePlus Nord which features a Snapdragon 765 processor at the same price range.
Well, not every smartphone manufacturer can hit the budget game like the way Oneplus does, which is due to a lot of salient factors that may not be known to the public.
Other features facilitating performance on the TCL pro include an Adreno 612 GPU, 6GB of RAM, 128GB built-in storage, and a non-removable 4000mAh battery.
On the software side, it runs the TCL UI on top of the Android 10 operating system. However, the TCL 10 pro users will have the Android 11 upgrade.
The TCL 10 Pro features a 3.5mm headphone jack, a USB Type-c port. It also features Bluetooth 5.0, NFC and infrared port.
Internet connectivity is maxed at 4G LTE on this device. This means enthusiasts won’t have the luxury 5G internet speed.
TCL 10 Pro Price and Availability
The price of the TCL 10 Pro is around $450, which translates to 173,390 Naira in Nigeria, 48,710 KSH in Kenya, and 2,59I GHC in Ghana.
The TCL 10 Pro was announced on April 6th, 2020 and is currently available for purchase.
TCL 10 Pro Specs
Here are a few specs of the TCL 10 Pro:
- Platform: Android 10, Planned upgrade to Android 11, TCL UI
- Processor: Octa-core Qualcomm SDM675 Snapdragon 675 9
- GPU: Adreno 612
- Memory: 6GB RAM
- Colours: Gray, Green
- Dimension: 158.5 x 72.4 x 9.2 mm
- Weight: 177 g
- SIM Type: Nano-SIM
- SIM Count: Dual-SIM
- Display: 6.47-inch AMOLED Capacitive Touchscreen, 1080 x 2340 Pixels, HDR10, Always-on-display
- Screen Protection: –
- Foldable Display: No
- Rear Camera: 64MP (Primary) f/1.8 + 16MP (Ultrawide) f/2.4 + 5MP (Macro) f/2.2 + 2MP (Depth) f/2.4
- Rear Camera Features: Dual-LED flash, HDR, panorama, 4K@30fps, 1080p@30/60/120fps, 720p@960fps, gyro-EIS
- Front Camera: 24MP Camera, f/2.0
- Built-in Storage: 128GB
- Memory Card Support: microSDXC (uses shared SIM slot)
- Bundled Cloud Storage: –
- 2G GSM: 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
- 2G CDMA 1X: –
- 3G WCDMA: 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100 – T799B
- 3G CDMA EVDO: –
- 4G LTE: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 17, 25, 26, 28, 38, 40, 41, 66 – (T799B) +
- 5G: No
Internet & Connectivity
- GPRS: Yes
- EDGE: Yes
- 3G/WCDMA/HSPA: Yes
- HSPA+: Yes
- CDMA EVDO: Yes
- 4G LTE: Yes
- 5G: No
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct
- Wi-Fi Hotspot: Yes
- Bluetooth: 5.0, A2DP, LE, aptX HD
- NFC: Yes
- Infrared Blaster: Yes
- USB Port: USB 2.0, USB Type-C 1.0 Reversible Connector, USB On-The-Go
- SMS/MMS: Yes
- Instant Messaging: Yes
- Push Emails: Yes
- Email Protocol: Yes
- Music Player: Yes
- Video Player: Yes
- FM Radio: Yes (Market/region Dependent)
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- 3.5mm Jack: Yes
- Navigation: A-GPS, GLONASS, GALILEO
- Maps: Yes
Sensors & Control
- Digital Compass: Yes
- Accelerometer: Yes
- Proximity Sensor: Yes
- Light Sensor: –
- Barometer: –
- SpO2: –
- Pedometer: –
- Heart Rate Monitor: No
- Gyroscope: Yes
- Fingerprint Scanner: (Under Display, Optical)
- Iris Scanner: –
- Face Unlock: –
- Stylus Pen: No
- Intelligent Digital Assistant: No
- Motion Sensing / Gesture Control: –
- Voice Control: Yes
- Video Streaming: Yes
- Active Noise Cancellation: –
- Wireless Charging: No
- Built-in Mobile Payment: –
- Water Resistant: No
- Dust Resistant: No
- Image Editor: –
- Video Editor: –
- Document Viewer: –
- Document Editor: –
- Battery: Non-Removable 4000mAh Li-Po Battery
- Talktime: –
- Standby Time: –
- Fast Charging: –